Our goal in all of this is to build a community marked by our unity and love for each other (John 13:35), and so we’d encourage you to engage with these resources within community, building deeper friendships and talking with others to gain the full benefit of this material.
All of these resources have helpful things to say, but given the breadth of material recommended here, it goes without saying we wouldn’t endorse everything written in them. However we think it’s important to understand a range of viewpoints to help sensitise us to the issues at hand. We also recognise the point is not to get us to agree on everything. Instead, our goal is friendship and love as we humbly serve, respect and honour one another, in seeking to build a community which better reflects the church Jesus is calling us to be.
I don’t even know where to begin
- Gracism: The Art of Inclusion, Dr David Anderson
- We Need to Talk about Race: Understanding the Black Experience in White Majority Churches, Ben Lindsay
- The Very Good Gospel, Lisa Harper
- Weep With Me: How Lament Opens a Door for Racial Reconciliation, Mark Vroegop
- The Deeply Formed Life, Rich Villodas (Chapters 3 & 4)
I want to learn about race, inclusion & reconciliation in Scripture
- Reading While Black, Esau McCaulley
- Exclusion and Embrace: A Theological Exploration of Identity, Otherness & Reconciliation, Miroslav Volf
- From Every People and Nation. A Biblical Theology of Race, J. Daniel Hays
I want to read more about race and the church
- How to Fight Racism, Jemar Tisby
- Crossing the Divide: A Call to Embrace Diversity, Owen Hylton
- White Awake, Daniel Hill
- Top Ten Tips for Talking About Race, Thabiti Anyabwile
- The Bible and Race, Tim Keller
- Embracing the Outsider, Tim Keller
- Facing the Facts: Ethnicity & Disadvantage in Britain, a report by the Centre for Social Justice
- Black History: An Overview, Gaverne Bennett
I care about social justice, but don’t know how to integrate that with my faith
- The Heart of Racial Justice: How Soul Change Leads to Social Change, Rick Richardson & Brenda Salter McNeil
- Refuse to Do Nothing: Finding Your Power to Abolish Modern Day Slavery, Shayne Moore & Kimberly McOwen Yim
- Just Mercy, Bryan Stevenson
- How to Have Impossible Conversations: A Very Practical Guide, Peter Boghossian & James Lindsay
- Dream With Me: Race, Love and the Struggle We Must Win, John M. Perkins
I want to learn how people culturally different from me experience the world
- The Good Immigrant, Nikesh Shukla
- This is London, Ben Judah
Books and resources for kids
- God’s Very Good Idea, Trillia Newbell
- God Made Me And You: Celebrating God’s Design for Ethnic Diversity, Shai Linne
- Colourfull, Dorena Williams.
- All the Colours That I See, Pamela Kennedy
- How to talk to your children about race and racism, BBC Resource
Are there resources to watch or listen to?
- Watch: One, by the Church of England Evangelical Council. A discussion between 5 friends on how Christians can think Biblically about race and ethnicity.
- Watch: Black and British: A Forgotten History, David Olosuga (Or Listen here)
- Watch: Evangelism in Diversity, Tim Keller
- Listen: Reading While Black, Esau McCaulley
- Watch: Five Reasons to Fight Racism, Krish Kandiah speaking at Christ Church London
Watch: A Conversation on Race and Restoration in the Body of Christ, Christine Caine and Dr. Anita Phillips
Are there any resources for Connect Groups?
- Race and The Gospel, a 5-part study with Matt Chandler & Bryan Lorrits
If you would like a log-in to access this course for free, including the films and study guide, please email [email protected]