Treasure Hunt - Kids at home Sunday 28th June
Today we’re going to learn that coming home to God is as wonderful as finding precious treasure and being where God is, in His Kingdom, is more important than anything else in the world!
Let’s start with some worship! Feel free to sing and dance or just watch and listen, Jesus doesn’t mind HOW we worship, He just loves it when we spend time with Him and sing his praises!
You are Good – Bethel Kids
Our God is a Great Big God – Vineyard Kids
Alive – Hillsong Young & Free
This is Amazing Grace – Bethel Kids
The Jesus Storybook Bible: Treasure Hunt (page 250)
Some important points to remember from the story…
- Jesus was telling people about God’s Kingdom, He said God’s Kingdom is wherever God is King! Some people didn’t really understand what this meant so to help them, Jesus told people stories called ‘parables’ and this one was called ‘The story of the hidden treasure’
- In the story, there was a man who dug, dug, dug and found some wonderful treasure! He knew that it was worth more than everything he had! It was worth more than his toys, his clothes, his bed and his house!
- He knew that the treasure was so special that he had to have it and he did everything that he could to have that amazing treasure! Jesus said that this is like coming home to God! When we find out that being with God and being His friend is the best thing ever and nothing can compare to that (no shoes or toys or clothes or houses) we find the greatest hidden treasure ever!
- The man in the story sold everything that he owned so that he would have enough money to buy the field and get to the hidden treasure. That treasure was worth everything to him! Jesus is teaching us that being with God and being in His Kingdom is worth everything that we have! God is the real treasure!
- God also has treasure too, His treasure is His children! That’s you and me! You are worth everything to God. You are His greatest treasure!
Some things to talk to your family about…
- Why do you think that the man in the story thought that the treasure was worth selling everything that he had? What do you think was so special about that treasure?
- Do you think that being God’s friend is the greatest treasure in the world? Why?
- You are God’s amazing and special and precious treasure too! What did He give up for you? How does that make you feel?
- Remember, Jesus said God’s Kingdom is wherever He is King and wherever He is in charge! How can we make sure that God is King in our lives and our hearts? Is there anything that we might need to give up or do to make sure that we are putting God in charge?
The Kingdom of heaven is like treasure… Matthew 13v44
Activity: Memory verse treasure hunt!
Write out the memory verse and cut each word out separately so that you have 7 smaller pieces of paper each with one word of the memory verse written on.
Now, why don’t you (or one member of your family) go and hide these pieces of paper around the house and challenge the rest of the family (or another member of the family) to go and find them! When you’ve found all of the pieces, try and put them back together in order together! You could take it in turns to do this until you’ve remembered the verse off by heart!
Do you remember what we discussed earlier? Is God the King of your life and your heart? Do you love being His friend and being able to talk to Him about anything? He really is the greatest treasure of all time isn’t He?! Do you know anyone that isn’t His friend yet and doesn’t know yet that He is the real treasure! Could you pray for them?
You really are the greatest treasure of all time! Nothing compares to you! Not toys or money or clothes. You’re the very best friend we could ask for. I’m so happy that I have you, because that means I have the greatest treasure ever! I pray for the people that don’t know you yet. I pray that people all over the world would discover your amazing hidden treasure!