The parable of a lamp on a stand
Kids at home 28th February
Sometimes Jesus told stories when He wanted people to really understand important lessons. If the lessons were hard then Jesus sometimes told simple stories to help people understand the things that were hard to understand. These stories were called parables.
Over the next few weeks we are going to be learning some of the parables that Jesus told and looking at what Jesus is teaching us in each one!
Today we are learning about the parable of a lamp on a stand!
Let’s start with some worship! Feel free to sing and dance or just watch and listen, Jesus doesn’t mind HOW we worship, he just loves it when we spend time with him and sing his praises!
One Thing Remains – Bethel Kids
Our God is a Great Big God – Vineyard Kids
You are Good – Bethel Kids
Alive – Hillsong Young & Free
The parable of a lamp on a stand
He said to them, “Do you bring in a lamp to put it under a bowl or a bed? Instead, don’t you put it on its stand? For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open. If anyone has ears to hear, let them hear.” Mark 4:21-23 NIV
Note to families:
Page 272 (Running away) if you have the Jesus Storybook Bible at home
Some important points to remember…
- We put lamps on tables and stands so that we get to see the light from the lamp! If we turned a lamp on and then put the lamp under a bed, we wouldn’t be able to see the light! The room would still be dark wouldn’t it? If we want to see the light of a lamp, we put it in a place where we can see it!
- Jesus says a lamp should be put on a lamp stand, or a table so that it lights up the room. By telling this story He is helping us to think about God and His word. When we hear God’s word and we are reminded of His wonderful promises, it brings light to the darkness and brings light into our hearts!
- Jesus is telling us that we should not hide the light of His Word and goodness somewhere that others can’t see it (like a lamp hidden under a bed or a bowl) Instead, we should let that light shine for everyone to see!
- God wants us to receive His Word in our hearts, but He also wants us to share His Word, to shine His light for everyone to see! He doesn’t want us to keep it hidden! When we share His Word, it’s like we are putting ourselves on a lamp stand so that the whole world can see the light of God by hearing His amazing word.
- Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” When we follow Jesus and we shine His light, we are chasing away the darkness and the sadness in the world and instead we are bringing God to everyone around us!
- We can shine His light telling people what we know about God, what His promises are and what the bible says about Him. We can also shine His light by being kind to others, and being joyful and hopeful because we have Jesus as our best friend and we know we can trust in Him.
Some things to talk to your family about…
- What is a lamp used for? How does it help us?
- Where do we usually put lamps?
- What do you think would happen if we turned on a lamp and then put it under a bed or put a basket or a bowl on top of it? What do you think would happen to the light?
- Why do you think Jesus told us this story? What do you think He wants us to do?
- Can you think of some ways that you could show others the light and goodness of Jesus?
Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:15-17
Another way that we can share God’s word with others and let His light shine, is by sharing a verse from the bible that we have learnt over the last few weeks with someone. Why don’t you think of a memory verse that you have learnt recently, perhaps you could pick your favourite one and go and share that verse with someone? You could even write it in a card or a letter and post it to someone!
Thank you that you are the light of the world and that we don’t have to walk in darkness because we have your wonderful light to guide us!
Please would you help us to shine the light that you have given us on others this week so that everyone can see how wonderful you are and how amazing your word is and your promises are!