The Friend of Little Children - Kids at home Sunday 21st June
Today, we are going to remember how loving God is and how much He cares about every one of us!
We will think about the fact that no matter how we act, or what we do, as children, Jesus loves and values us all equally! The only thing we have to do is to accept His incredible love! What amazing news!
Let’s start with some worship! Feel free to sing and dance or just watch and listen, Jesus doesn’t mind HOW we worship, He just loves it when we spend time with Him and sing His praises!
You are Good – Bethel Kids
Our God is a Great Big God – Vineyard Kids
Alive – Hillsong Young & Free
This is Amazing Grace – Bethel Kids
The Jesus Storybook Bible: The Friend of little children (Page 256)
Note to families:
Page 256 if you have the Jesus Storybook Bible at home and prefer to read this to your little ones!
Some important points to remember from the story…
- The disciples (Jesus’ friends) were distracted from Jesus and His love when they were fighting over who was the ‘best or the ‘favourite’.
- The disciples forgot that God’s love is a gift for everyone and it comes for free with no conditions and no need to impress him. No matter how clever you are, or how nice you are, or how rich you are or what you look like, Jesus loves you so much! He loves to spend time with you and He loves to be your friend!
- The disciples tried to turn the children away because they thought that Jesus didn’t have time for them, but Jesus really really wanted to see them! In fact, He said “Don’t ever send them away! Bring the little ones to me!” Jesus will always have time for you and for me, He loves being with us and He will never turn us away when we go to him!
- Jesus could see the trust and love in the children’s hearts and He said that these children were so important in the kingdom! Wow! You are so important to Jesus! He said that everyone should try and be like little children and have hearts that are full of trust in God! The children in this story ran into Jesus’ arms and that is just what He wants us all to do!
Some things to talk to your family about…
- Do you sometimes feel like you have to be really good or really special to be friends with Jesus? Do you ever worry about being really clever or really popular?
- Do you know that God loves you just as you are? He loves every one of us equally, He made us all differently and He loves to celebrate our differences and use us in different ways. How do you think God could use you or your family for His good?
- How can we show Jesus that we love Him and trust Him and want to be His friend?
- How can we be more like Jesus? How can we spread love to others? How can we be good friends to those in need?
“Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love”. John 15:12
Sometimes it can feel like it is really important to be the ‘best’ or the ‘favourite’ when we are at school, when we are in clubs, or even when we are at church. Jesus teaches us, through the way that He is friends with the little children, to accept His gift of love without feeling like we have to do anything for it! He offers us his love and friendship no matter who we are, no matter what we do and no matter how we act. We can also learn from the amazing way that Jesus loves us and we can try and share this love and love others in the same way!
As we remember this verse today, why don’t you try and share this love with someone? You could try making a gift for someone? You could draw them a nice picture or make them a lovely card? Or you could tell them something kind or loving? Why don’t you remind them how much they are loved too?
Is there anything that you worry you are not good enough at? Is there anyone you know who worries about not being impressive or clever or special enough that you could pray for? Jesus says that children are the most important people in the kingdom! You don’t need to do anything or be anyone else! You are already the most special thing to Him!
Thank you that you love us and that you give us this gift of love and need nothing but our love in return. Thank you that you put us at the center of your kingdom and take our loving and trusting hearts and give us the biggest and most wonderful love in return. Please help us to remember that we don’t have to be the ‘best’ or the ‘favourite’ or be really ‘good’ to know you and be your best friend. Please help us to love others in the same way that you love us and share this love!
Why don’t you use the prayer boards that we created a few weeks ago? Why don’t you think of a prayer for each envelope? Or, if you haven’t had chance to make your prayer board yet, why not give it a go this week?
As today is also Father’s Day, there are actually two craft options for today! You can do either of these or do both if you’d like!