Miracles of Jesus
Kids at home 29th November
Over the next few weeks we are going to be learning more about Jesus and talking about some of the amazing miracles that He did!
Jesus performed many miracles while He was on the earth to help people know that He was the Son of God and to help them to put their faith and trust in Him. Through every miracle, people came to know Jesus and became friends with Him! Jesus also performed miracles because He loved people and wanted to help those who were sick or in need.
Today we are going to look at when Jesus walked on water! How amazing!
Let’s start with some worship! Feel free to sing and dance or just watch and listen, Jesus doesn’t mind how we worship, He just loves it when we spend time with Him and sing His praises!
Great Big God – Vineyard Kids
You are Good – Bethel Kids
This is Amazing Grace – Bethel Kids
King of my Heart – Discoverylands
Jesus walks on water! – Saddleback Kids
Note to families:
Matthew 14:22-33 if you’d prefer to read this with your little one(s).
Some things to talk to your family about…
- How did the disciples react when they saw Jesus walking on the water? How do you think they felt?
- What did Jesus say to help them with their fear?
- What do you think Peter felt when he walked on the water to Jesus?
- How do you think you would have felt if you were Peter? Do you think that you would have trusted Jesus and walked out to Him?
- If Peter could tell us about his experience today, what advice do you think he’d give us?
- How do you think we can keep growing our faith in Jesus? What sort of things can we do to help us?
- Is there anything that you can think of right now that seems a little scary? Is there anything that you feel worried about and want to talk to Jesus about today?
Some important points to remember…
- Jesus wanted to spend some time alone in prayer so He told His disciples to go on ahead of Him and take the boat to the other side of the lake.
- In the middle of the night the disciples were caught in a big storm and looked over and saw Jesus walking towards them on the water! They were afraid because they didn’t recognise that it was Jesus at first!
- Jesus asked Peter to walk out to Him so Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water too! What an amazing miracle!
- When Peter started to feel afraid and looked down at the scary waves instead of Jesus, he began to sink but then he asked Jesus for help and Jesus saved him!
- This miracle reminds us that Jesus can do anything, He can walk on water and though Him, Peter was able to walk on water too!
- It also reminds us that we need to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus! Peter started to sink when he stopped looking at Jesus and we need to remember to keep looking to Jesus when we are afraid too.
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. Psalm 56:3
Life looks a little different right now, doesn’t it? This memory verse reminds us that we will sometimes feel scared! Sometimes it feels a bit like we’re in that boat with Jesus’ friends and there are lots of scary waves and we don’t know what to do.
So, to help you remember just how much Jesus loves you and that you can put your trust in Him and ask Him for help, why don’t you write down or tell your family one thing you might be nervous or scared about and then write our memory verse beside it or you can just try saying the memory verse out loud! You can shout it, whisper it, sing it, whatever you like! If you can’t think of anything that you are worried about right now, can you think of a time where you felt afraid and you trusted God and He helped you?
We read today that Jesus went off on His own to pray to God. This reminds us how important and how special it is for us to pray and spend time with God. Why don’t we follow Jesus’ example and spend some time in prayer today? You could do this on your own or with your family. Was there anything that you thought of or shared with your family when you were asked if you were worried or scared? Have you had the chance to talk to Jesus about them yet? Why don’t you have a go now?
Thank you that you are the God of miracles and that you can do anything!
Thank you for all of the amazing things that you do, thank you for loving us and promising to always be with us. Next time I feel scared or worried, please could you help me to remember to ask you for help and to trust you, no matter what! Help me to keep looking to you and putting my faith in you. I love you!