The Forgiving Prince - Kids at home Sunday 26th July
Today, we are going to learn again about how loving and forgiving God is!
Today, we are going to learn again about how loving and forgiving God is! We will think about the fact that no matter how we act, or what we do, as His children, Jesus loves us so much and will always forgive us and welcome us back into His arms! God teaches us through the story of Joseph and the story of Jesus that no matter what we do, God loves and forgives us and celebrates our return to Him whenever and however it might happen! Todays story also reminds us that God has a special plan for each of us and so we can always trust that God is by our side, even when things feel difficult or scary. God always keeps his promises!
Let’s start with some worship! Feel free to sing and dance or just watch and listen, Jesus doesn’t mind HOW we worship, he just loves it when we spend time with him and sing his praises!
Great Big God – Vineyard Kids
Alive – Hillsong Young & Free
You are Good – Bethel Kids
This is Amazing Grace – Bethel Kids
The Jesus Storybook Bible: The Forgiving Prince (page 76)
Some important points to remember from the story…
- Joseph’s brothers were jealous of Joseph and because of this, they treated him very very badly. They actually sold him off to be a slave and pretended to their father that he had died!
- The brothers thought that was the end of Joseph but they were wrong, God had an amazing plan for Joseph’s life and even when it looked like everything had gone wrong, God used everything that was happening to Joseph to do something good!
- Even when Joseph was sad and alone God had not forgotten him and he never left Joseph’s side.
- Joseph was made a prince by the King of Egypt and Joseph’s brothers needed help and ended up having to bow before the prince, who was their brother that they had treated so terribly, and ask him to rescue them.
- When the brothers realised that it was Joseph who was the prince, they were very afraid because of the way they had treated him. They thought that they would be in huge trouble.
- Even though the brothers had really hurt Joseph, he couldn’t stop loving them! Joseph’s heart filled up with love and he forgave his brothers for what they had done to him. Joseph knew that God loved them and had an amazing plan all along, even when things felt really sad and scary for him. Joseph was full of love and forgiveness for his brothers because he had faith in God’s plan for them all!
- God was there for Joseph and he’s also there for you and for me! God has a wonderful plan for each of us and he is always with us. He always keeps his promises!
Some things to talk to your family about…
- What was your favourite part of the story? And why?
- What do you think this story teaches us about forgiving people that might have made us sad or angry?
- Have you ever had to forgive someone? How did that feel?
- How does it make you feel to know that God will always forgive you, no matter what! There is nothing that you could ever do that will make him stop loving you!!
- Isn’t it wonderful to know that God will always be by your side, even when things can feel sad or scary? Can you think of any ways to help you remember that God is always with you, even when something might feel hard? Why don’t you share some ideas as a family?
‘And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him’
God was with Joseph all of the time but he did go through some sad and scary times and God was going to use all those bad things for something really good. God shows us that our lives will be used for His plan no matter what and that no matter how we feel or what we think that we have done, God loves us and has a wonderful plan for all of us! God will always use us for good ☺
Memory verse catch!
If you have a ball (or something that you can play throw and catch with) why don’t you throw the ball back and forth between your family members and as you throw it, each say one word of the memory verse so that you are repeating the memory verse over and over. Keep doing this until you’ve remembered all of it and then see if you can say it all in one go!
Why don’t we pray and thank God that He can work through even the bad things in our lives to bring about good! We can also ask Him to help fill our hearts with love for people that might have made us sad and that will help us to forgive them just as God always forgives us!
Thank you that you forgive us no matter what! Thank you that you always have an amazing plan for us and that you are always by our side. Thank you that you were with Joseph and thank you that you are with us! Please help us to have hearts full of love for others and to forgive people when they make us sad. Thank you for teaching us how to forgive and for teaching us how to love! We love you!