The Parable of the Lost Coin
Kids at home 24th January
Sometimes Jesus told stories when He wanted people to really understand important lessons. If the lessons were hard then Jesus sometimes told simple stories to help people understand the things that were hard to understand. These stories were called parables.
Over the next few weeks we are going to be learning some of the parables that Jesus told and looking at what Jesus is teaching us in each one!
Today we are learning about the parable of the lost coin!
Let’s start with some worship! Feel free to sing and dance or just watch and listen, Jesus doesn’t mind HOW we worship, he just loves it when we spend time with him and sing his praises!
Great Big God – Vineyard Kids
Alive – Hillsong Young & Free
You are Good – Bethel Kids
This is Amazing Grace – Bethel Kids
The parable of the lost coin
“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbours together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.” Luke 15:8-9
Some important points to remember…
- Jesus reminds us in this parable that every one of us is so precious to Him! He loves us so much and will never give up on us, no matter what!
- He talks about a woman who loses one of her precious ten silver coins and she looks everywhere, she even sweeps the house, until she finds that one lost coin!
- Sometimes we can be a bit like that lost coin and we may be lost and feel far away from God but remember, He will keep searching for us and calling us back into His arms until He finds us! He will celebrate every time we come back to Him and He will always forgive us, no matter what! That’s how much He loves each of us! Isn’t that wonderful?
Some things to talk to your family about…
- Have you ever been lost? How did you feel when you were lost? How did you feel when you were found again?
- Why do you think that the woman in the story searched everywhere for one lost coin?
- How do you know if someone loves you?
- How do you know that God loves you?
- How do you think you can show love to someone else? What does Jesus teach us about loving others?
Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. John 13:34
God loves us so much and He always will, no matter what! Sometimes we will make mistakes or get things wrong but God will never stop loving us, He just wants us to always come back to Him. He tells us to love one another as He has loved us and by following Him and listening to Him, He can help us do that!
Memory verse catch!
If you have a ball (or something that you can play throw and catch with) why don’t you throw the ball back and forth between your family members and as you throw it, each say one word of the memory verse so that you are repeating the memory verse over and over. Keep doing this until you’ve remembered all of it and then see if you can say it all in one go!
Why don’t you have a think about and write down the names of the people (or draw the people) that you would like to show more love to this week? Perhaps if you’re at home right now, it’s someone in your family or maybe someone you speak to regularly on the phone or zoom? Why don’t you ask God to show you how you can let them know that they are loved?
Let’s also pray and thank God for loving us so much and teaching us how to love others so well!
Thank you that you love us so much and always will, no matter what we do or where we go. Thank you that you will always look for us like that women looked everywhere for her lost coin. Thank you that you show us how to love others and we ask that you help us to love others really well this week.
We also pray that this week in all that we do, we would know your love deeply and we would know that you’re by our side helping us and loving us!