Miracles of Jesus
Kids at home 20th December
Over the last few weeks we have been talking about some of the amazing miracles that Jesus did!
Jesus performed many miracles while He was on the earth to help people know that He was the Son of God and to help them to put their faith and trust in Him. Through every miracle, people came to know Jesus and became friends with Him! Jesus also performed miracles because He loved people and wanted to help those who were sick or in need. We are now going to spend the next few weeks thinking about another amazing miracle, and that is the miracle of the very first Christmas and Jesus’ birth! We are going to look at some different people who were all part of this very special story!
We have learnt so far that we have been invited to be friends with Jesus, just like the shepherds were, and we can say yes to the life that He has for us to live, just like Mary did! Today we are going to be looking at the story of three Wise Men! These were three rulers from another nation and they had to travel a long way to be part of the story!
Let’s start with some worship! Feel free to sing and dance or just watch and listen, Jesus doesn’t mind how we worship, He just loves it when we spend time with Him and sing His praises!
Great Big God – Vineyard Kids
This is Amazing Grace – Bethel Kids
Joy to the World – Bethel Kids
O Come O Come Emmanuel – Bethel Kids
Jesus and the Wise Men – Saddleback Kids!
Note to families:
Page 192 in the Jesus Storybook bible if you prefer to read this with your little one(s).
Some things to talk to your family about…
- Can you remember who we talked about last week? Can you remember what happened?
- What did the three wise men follow to help them find their way?
- What happened when the wise men finally reached Jerusalem? Who did they meet first?
- Why do you think King Herod was so unhappy about the news of Jesus’ birth?
- How did God protect the wisemen and baby Jesus? What did He do?
- How do you think that God protects us today? Can you think of some examples?
Some important points to remember…
- Three wise men had been waiting for a star that God put in the sky to let them know that Jesus, the light of the world, had come!
- When they saw the star, they were so excited! They began to follow the star so that they could meet Jesus!
- They met King Herod first and when King Herod heard that a new King had been born, he was very upset! He tried to trick the wisemen and asked them to tell him where Jesus was so that he could go and worship Him, but really he wanted to know where Jesus was so that he could get rid of Him!
- So the wisemen continued to follow the star to Bethlehem where Jesus was, when they saw Him they were full of joy and bowed down and worshipped Him! They gave Him special gifts fit for the King that He was!
- God warned the wisemen in a dream not to go back to where King Herod was, He told them to go home a different way so they did!
- An angel also appeared in a dream to Joseph and told him to take Mary and Jesus to Egypt so that King Herod wouldn’t be able to hurt Jesus.
- God was protecting them all the whole time, and He loves to look after us and protect us too!
- Remember, the wise men followed the star and it led them to Jesus!
- The amazing thing is, Jesus said that everyone who is a friend of His, is like a light in the world so we can also shine brightly like that star in the sky! We can love people, help them, be kind to them and as we shine our light, other people we see it and we can show them Jesus too! Isn’t that wonderful?
‘Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path’. Psalm 119:105
Just like the wisemen followed the star to find Jesus, we can also follow the light of Jesus in our own lives! It says in the Bible that God’s word (which is the Bible!) is a lamp for our feet and a light on our path. It shows us the way to go! The Bible helps us to live, to learn how to pray, to help us know who God is and who we are. It helps us to love other people. If we read the Bible, it leads us to Jesus! It helps us to know Him more and become friends with Him! Why don’t you read some of the Bible as a family today? You could also try and make up some actions at home with your family to help you to try and remember this verse?
Is there anyone you know who isn’t friends with Jesus yet? Why don’t you pray for them today? You could pray that this Christmas they will meet Jesus and experience His goodness and His joy and His peace and become good friends with Him!
Thank you for the joy and peace that Jesus’ birth brought the world and for sending Him to us to chase away the darkness and light up the whole world! Thank you that your word is a light that shows us the way to go, thank you that you teach us how to be kind, to love people and that you lead us to Jesus who we get to be best friends with! Please help us to shine brightly like a star in the sky, help us to be a light for others and help us to lead our friends and family who don’t know Jesus yet, to become friends with Him!