Kids at home Sunday 19th July
Today, we are going to hear a story about God picking King David.
This story reminds us that God doesn’t care about what is on the outside, he cares about what is on the inside! He cares about our hearts and he wants our hearts to be full of love, for him and for others. Just like God’s heart is full of love for us!
Let’s hear about how God picked David to be king!
Let’s start with some worship! Feel free to sing and dance or just watch and listen, Jesus doesn’t mind HOW we worship, he just loves it when we spend time with him and sing his praises!
Great Big God – Vineyard Kids
Alive – Hillsong Young & Free
This is Amazing Grace – Bethel Kids
Ever Be – Bethel Kids
The Jesus Storybook Bible: The Teenie weenie true king (page 116)
Some important points to remember from the story…
- God’s people wanted a king! God wanted his people to have a king who loved him and would teach his people to love him!
- To be a king in those days, you had to look like one! You had to be the tallest and the biggest and the strongest. Everyone expected God to pick one of Jesse’s very strong and tall sons but God made it clear that he wasn’t looking at the outside appearance, he was looking at what was on the inside.
- God looked at the heart of Jesse’s youngest son David, and saw that he had a heart full of love. It didn’t matter to God that David was the youngest or that he didn’t look as strong on the outside as his brothers did.
- God saw that David had a heart like his own and he knew that was the most important thing! That’s what God wants for us too! He wants us to have a heart like his to love people and love him in the same incredible way that he loves us!
Some things to talk to your family about…
- What do you like about this story?
- What do you think makes a good friend? Do you think it’s what someone looks like on the outside or about their heart on the inside that makes them a good friend? Why don’t you have a think about some of your own friends and tell your family about what they are like?
- Why do you think that God cares more about our hearts than he does about what we look like?
- How can we make sure that we have hearts full of love like David did and like God does? Can you think of any ways that you can love the people around you this week?
- Can you think of a way to show God how much you love him this week?
The Lord bless you
and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.
God loves you so much! You are his beloved child, just like King David was! Why don’t you read this blessing over the people in your family? You could take it in turns to bless each other or you could each take a small section to remember and then as a family say this all together (try and do it without reading/looking and see if you can remember it!)