Kids at home Sunday 12th April
Today we’re going to have a PARTY! Why?! Because today is EASTER SUNDAY! What’s so special about that?! Well, today we celebrate that Jesus is ALIVE!! That is the best gift ever isn’t it? But why? Why are we all so happy that Jesus is alive?
Well, we can party today because we know that as we learnt last week, Jesus is the KING! He is the King over all of the bad things in the world (even the very worst things) and He has made a way for us to be close with God all of the time, even when we make mistakes! He loves us so much that He would do anything for us! Today we can also celebrate that one day we will all get to join the biggest and most amazing party in Heaven where there will be dancing and feasting and joy and happiness and we will see Jesus with our own eyes!
Let’s start with some worship! Today is all about singing and dancing for joy because of the fact that Jesus is ALIVE! So, let’s stand up and dance and sing together!
Alive – Hillsong Young & Free
O Taste and See – Bethel Kids
The Lord’s Prayer – Saddleback Kids
Jesus Strong & Kind – City Alight
God’s Wonderful Surprise! – The Jesus Storybook Bible (you can find this story on page 310 of the Jesus Storybook Bible if you’d prefer to read this with your little one)
Some important points to remember…
- Jesus’ friends were really sad because they thought they’d never see Him again. But Jesus made them a promise, and He kept it! He said He would be coming back to them, and He did. We can trust all of Jesus’ promises!
- The tomb where Jesus was meant to be buried was EMPTY! Do we remember what the angel said? “This tomb is for dead people. Jesus isn’t dead anymore! He is ALIVE again!” Yay!!
- Jesus took the punishment for all of the wrong things anybody had ever done, or ever would do. He championed over these bad things because He is our King and He did this because of how much He LOVES us.
- He made a way for you and me to talk to God at any time. Remember, He told Mary He will always be close to her! Because of what Jesus did for us, we are able to be really really close to God and talk to Him any time we want and tell Him everything and anything! Just like we’ve been learning these past few weeks! Isn’t that wonderful news?
- The Bible tells us that the whole world was dancing with joy when they realised that Jesus was alive! Even the trees!
- Jesus came back to life, and only the King of the whole world could do that. Jesus is the King of Love, King of Hope, King of Heaven and He wants to be the King of our lives too! In the Easter story, Death does not win but love does, love ALWAYS wins!
Some things to talk to your family about…
- Do you like surprises? What is the best surprise you’ve ever had?
- How did Mary know that Jesus loved her?
- What are some of the ways that you know Jesus loves you? How do we know that He does? What did He do for us at Easter to show us how much He loves us?
- How can we party today at home? What would you like to do to celebrate that Jesus is alive and He loves us so much that He took away all of the bad things and the sad things and He tells us that He will love us no matter what?! (e.g. play a favourite game, bake something with your family, eat something nice together, have a dance party, watch your favourite family movie, make something together…)
- This is an amazing story isn’t it? Remember how Mary ran all the way back to the city as fast as she could once she heard the good news? She couldn’t believe it! It was really Him! She ran all the way back to the city, as fast as she could, to tell all of her friends the good news about Jesus!
- Do you think that everyone in the world needs to know this story and to know Jesus? How can we tell them or show them who He is? How could you show and tell your friends? How can we do this together as a family?
“He is RISEN!” – Matthew 28:6
How wonderful is this verse? Jesus’ friends were so sad and scared when they thought that Jesus had died and that they’d never see Him again, but then they heard the good news! And now, today, thousands of years later, we still get to celebrate that amazing news! That’s what Easter is all about! It’s really fun to eat chocolate and other yummy food and spend time having lots of fun with our families but the most wonderful part of Easter is that Jesus is alive! He is risen!
To help us remember this amazing news (though I’m sure that you’ll never forget!) we are going to make some crafts that we can put up in our houses so that we can keep celebrating even after today is over! There are a few different options, so you can decide which one you’d like to do at home but whatever you choose, make sure that you have lots of fun doing it!