A prayer for courage to share the gospel
‘Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”’ (Matthew 28:18-20, NIV)
‘“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”’ (Romans 10:13-15, NIV)
‘Stand firm then… with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.’ (Ephesians 6:14-15, NIV)
We have been given the privilege of sharing the greatest news imaginable; that eternal life is available through the death and resurrection of Jesus. Yet for many of us, speaking about our faith can feel daunting or difficult. We might assume that our friends won’t want to hear the message, that they may reject us if we speak about our faith, or that we will communicate the gospel badly.
Take some time to reflect on the following questions, listening for prompts from the Holy Spirit:
- What specific barriers are there that stop you sharing the good news of Jesus?
- Jesus has all authority in heaven and earth, and as he sends you out with the gospel, he promises to be with you. How does knowing that give you confidence?
- Ask the Holy Spirit to identify a few friends who you could have a faith conversation with this week. Ask him to show you opportunities for how to start faith conversations, and give you ideas about what in particular he would like you to say.
Too often my feet
Are slow to move,
Hesitant to step out,
And back away from faith conversations
Rather than walking into them confidently.
Today would you
Clothe my feet with readiness,
Keep them from stumbling,
Direct them where to walk,
And quicken them to move.
Feet are rarely admired,
But you call them beautiful
When they carry your gospel.
As I step out in faith and obedience,
Would I find myself surprised
That people consider my words,
And my message,
Set yourself a goal this week to speak to at least one friend who does not follow Jesus, and share something of your faith. It may be as simple as mentioning that you are a Christian, posting something online about church, or offering to pray for them. Or you may want to ask them a question about their own thoughts about God, or even invite them to church, Alpha or STEPS.
Also take some time today to speak to a friend from church or your Connect Group, and do one of the following:
- Tell them who you plan to reach out to this week, and ask them to pray for you and check in with you to see how it went.
- If it would help, tell them how you are thinking of opening a faith conversation, and ask for their advice and feedback about whether there is a better way of doing it.
- Consider whether there are ways you can partner in helping people consider faith. It may be that you could hold a social event together where you friends can connect, or even run an Alpha group for your shared friendship group.