The Spirit Filled Life: Creativity and Skill
When we think about gifts of the Spirit, we can quickly think of the supernatural ones such as prophecy, faith, or healing (1 Corinthians 12:8-10). But Scripture also speaks of seemingly more ‘natural’ gifts, such as serving, encouraging, giving, hospitality, administration, and showing mercy (Romans 12:6-8; 1 Peter 4:9-10). These gifts are no less important or spiritual in their origin. And as the story of Bezalel in Exodus 31 tells us, God’s Spirit can give us wisdom, understanding and skill to achieve all sorts of practical and creative tasks.
This practice is designed to help us recognise our skills as gifts from God, and to ask the Holy Spirit to enhance them and use them for his glory. It lasts 30 minutes, and we suggest taking 10 minutes to discuss the questions, 15 minutes to work through the practice individually, and 5 minutes at the end to reflect on your experience.
Discussion (10 minutes)
- Do you think of your ‘natural talents’ or learned skills as being God-given gifts? Does that affect the level of spiritual value you place upon them?
- Are you aware of any ways in which the Spirit has used your so-called ‘natural’ gifts for his purposes?
Practice (15 minutes)
This practice should be done as individuals. You may want to turn off the screen while you do it, or play some worship music in the background. Spend 2-3 minutes writing a list of your talents and skills, and personality traits, such as kindness, or generosity.
Then work through the list, and for each item do the following:
- Thank God for giving you that skill, talent, or personality trait
- Ask the Holy Spirit to bring to mind ways he has used that skill for good
- Ask the Holy Spirit to bring to mind ways he wants you to use that skill this week
Write down anything the Holy Spirit prompts you with, and through the coming week, commit to using your skills as he directs you.
Discussion (5 minutes)
- What practical things could you do this week to help you think about using your skills and talents, empowered by the Spirit?
Giver of every good gift,
Thank you for your generosity.
I choose to see every skill and talent I have as a gift from you,
And I ask that you would breathe upon them,
Enhance and strengthen them,
And empower me to use them for your glory.
I present my body to you as a living sacrifice,
And ask that you would give me wisdom, creativity, and skill,
So that I might honour you,
And be a blessing to the world.
In Jesus’ name